Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Horror Family about the scene: Josh Burton

JOSH BURTON
Terror Music Scene Unite, The Hypno Realm

"keep going out to shows, have fun, don't be a dbag"

https://www.facebook.com/terrorunite?pnref=lhc
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hypno-Realm/297683907105067













Graveyard Greaser Gang: "horrorpunk is not a genre, it's a scene"! what does this mean to you?
Josh Burton: To someone on the outside this is hard to describe. Basically, just come out to a show and you'll figure it out. It's all friends and good times. For instance GNO, I see friends there I hadn't seen since the last GNO and it's like we see each other every day, just the hugs are harder and a tad longer. We are such a tight knit group it's basically a family.

GGG: how would you describe horrorpunk to people who are not familiar with the music/scene?
JB: Basically take the energy and sound of punk rock, but trade the theme of the songs to be about your favorite horror movies, monsters, stories etc, and there ya go.


GGG: what was your first contact with horrorpunk?
JB: When I was probably, 5th, 6th grade, my sister introduced me to the Misfits, and it basically went on from there.

GGG: why did you start to support horrorpunk?
JB: When I started TMSU (Terror Music Scene Unite) it was originally an idea to try and get people who weren't familiar to the scene to come out to shows, but in the end I wanted to support the friends I had in the scene along with the music I loved. 




GGG: what does horror in general mean to you?
JB: Horror means the world to me, I've been a fan of horror since I was young. I grew up watching all the classics when they were on TV, going to the video store and talking my dad into letting my rent older flicks and so forth, I'm a gorehound.

GGG: there are millions of horror fans in the world (movies etc). in your opinion, why does barely people know about horrorpunk?
JB: I feel like horrorpunk, just as punk rock is, it's just something that in all reality isn't for everyone. It's growing but at a slow rate. More conventions are starting to bring the music to their shows and it's helping the bands gain fans who wouldn't normally find them.

GGG: most horrorpunk bands say that it's difficult to get booked for a show. in your opinion, why is it like that?
JB: If your city doesn't have a punk scene, there really isn't anyone to play for, a lot of bands I know tend to try and mix in with the metal heads, and the psychobilly crowds which works but if the city doesn't have much of a music scene, you don't have much to work with.

GGG: how did the horrorpunk scene develop/change since you are part of it?
JB: I mean when I started listening to horrorpunk, I wasn't even aware that there was much of a scene behind it. That wasn't until I started going to more shows and then GNO really opened my eyes to just how big the scene was. 




GGG: what's your favorite memorie when it comes to horrorpunk?
JB: Easily all of the GNO's I've been to, each show I walk out with more friends than I go in knowing. It's basically a huge family reunion inside a show. Always good times are bad, and plenty of laughs.

GGG: what are your three favorite horrorpunk bands?
JB: Really hard to narrow it down so I'll just go with the first three that pop into my head The Big Bad, Silent Horror, and The Other

GGG: what are your three favorite non-horrorpunk bands?
JB: Same as before, such a hard question but I'll go with BZFOS, The Dreadnaughts, and Koffin Kats

GGG: what are you doing to support/promote the scene?
JB: I'm always spreading the word about shows, new albums, doing interviews and reviews. I'm also writing for HorrorHound Magazine "HoundSounds" is the name of my article. Spreading horror to the masses.

GGG: what are your next plans for your site/promotion?
JB: Just keep on pushing and trying to grow the site all I can. Started a new site called The Hypno Realm where I'm starting a YouTube channel and through it I will be incorporating music with my movie and gaming reviews. Plus I'll probably do some video reviews and interviews with bands.

GGG: anything you wanna add?
JB: Just keep going out to shows, have fun, don't be a dbag.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment