Monday, November 17, 2014

The Horror Family about the scene: Justin Stankus




Justin Stankus
Technicolor Terror
https://www.facebook.com/technicolorterror

[how to describe horrorpunk?] "Evil yet sensitive? Melodic yet hardcore? Elvis yet not fat? Each band has their own take on it and I love it all"












 Graveyard Greaser Gang: "horrorpunk is not a genre, it's a scene"! what does this mean to you?
Justin Stankus: Since going to GNO and meeting everybody I would totally agree and the people involved are some incredibly special people. I see these fine folks maybe 1-2 times a year and every time it doesn't feel like a day has gone by and by the time it's over I miss terribly. Though I would stress that punk rock in general is a scene and that needs to be remembered. We can't forget the street punks, crust punks, pop punks, crack rock steadys, etc. Up the fucking punx!

GGG: how would you describe horrorpunk to people who are not familiar with the music/scene?
JS: Evil yet sensitive? Melodic yet hardcore? Elvis yet not fat? Each band has their own take on it and I love it all, the really wretched stuff is awesome yet the slower and more melodic songs I love too. There's only a very few horror-punk bands I don't like if that gives you an idea haha.

GGG: what was your first contact with horrorpunk?
JS: When I was younger and Napster was the bees knees my brother who believe it or not is all about Phish and Widespread Panic and all that gay shit thought I would enjoy a video he downloaded. That video turned out to be a live video of The Misfits "All Hell Breaks Loose" and thats what started it off.

GGG: why did you start to support horrorpunk?
JS: I had a blog that I would write about all these horror-punk bands that I thought people needed to know about and in my mind were extremely underrated, like Silent Horror (back when James was on vocals), The Reanimated, The Spook, Balzac, etc. I was contacted by an awesome guy and now awesome author Kevin Millikin who shared my passion for punk rock and especially horror-punk. We went back and forth and Technicolor Terror was born.


GGG: what does horror in general mean to you?
JS: I love it. Plain and simple. Since I was about 14ish I've been obsessed with Demonology and Satanism which was triggered by going to church so often as a kid if you can believe it. I just love the horror culture it's the inspiration for most of my tattoos, artwork and I just love everything about it. The movies, music, games, and everything else it has inspired is amazing.

GGG: there are millions of horror fans in the world (movies etc). in your opinion, why does barely people know about horrorpunk and why is it so difficult for horrorpunk bands to book shows?
JS: Punk rock in general doesn't get enough attention. But that's where it's always been, underground, it lives on and continues to do so and I'm starting to see a lot more bands playing, especially horror-punk which is just as awesome.

GGG: how did the horrorpunk scene develop/change since you are part of it?
JS: Honestly I never saw it as a "scene". I just grew up listening to punk rock, hell the first album I ever bought with my own money was G.B.H.'s, "City Baby Attacked By Rats" and when I even heard The Misfits for the first time I just saw them as a punk band and nothing more. It wasn't until later on that I noticed other bands like Silent Horror (second horror-punk band I ever found) and Balzac that was a sub-genre known as horror-punk.

GGG: what's your favorite memorie when it comes to horrorpunk (events, shows, people, whatever)?
JS: GNO is always a blast and all the people involved and that I've met. But I'd probably say seeing GNO X and being able to see Blitzkid's very last US show. One of the best times of my life.


GGG: what are your three favorite horrorpunk bands?
JS: Balzac Misfits Silent Horror

GGG: what are your three favorite non-horrorpunk bands?
JS: The Causalties The Infested Street Brats

GGG: what are you doing to support/promote the scene?
JS: I run a horror-punk webzine called Technicolor Terror for lovers of evil, horror, and the macabre! We do reviews, interviews and more, I'm hoping in time to have it become a printed vine.

GGG: what are your next plans for your site/promotion?
JS: I kind of answered it in the last question, but we're getting a bit more funds and we've got new Technicolor shirts designed by the baller and amazing artist Justin Terril

GGG: anything you wanna add?
JS: To all the band we've done stuff for we absolutely love yah and we have more plans in the works! To all our fans my deepest thanks and gratitude, when me and Kevin started Technicolor we only had maybe 17 likes and to blow up and have over 800 likes with none of that bullshit sponsored facebook crap is amazing and means the world to me. I sincerely thank each and every one of you. I fucking love yah!

No comments:

Post a Comment